Cress is fun and super quick to grow. You don’t need compost as it can be grown on any moist porous
The idea is to grow cress anywhere you want and make it look like it’s hair, to make a character.
You can use anything that can hold something that can be made to stay moist. Egg shells are a great container because you can draw faces on them but you can use absolutely anything from small balls, mugs or even old shoes (Please make sure they are old!). The only limit is imagination.
- Find your container. This must be able to hold something that can retain moisture.
- Your container should then be packed with something that holds water eg cotton wool, kitchen rolls
- Moisten the packing and sprinkle some cress seeds on it. Just enough so you can still see what they are resting on.
- Cover over with paper (e.g. if egg shells, covering over with the egg box lid is ideal).
- Check them daily and give then a light water ( About a teaspoon just to keep them moist)
- In about two to three days they should germinate (start to grow). Now is the time to uncover them.
- Keep them moist and they will grow a great head of hair.
Now the fun part! Decorate your head! You can make it a member of your family or a pet or a self-portrait or a famous person or a person from history or anything you want.
Send us a picture of your head to [email protected] with an explanation (if needed).
There will be three prizes available, best cress head, most inventive cress head and the cress head grown in the biggest container.
august 14 (Saturday) - 30 (Monday)
Event Organised by