The Worcester Festival Pear Tree Project
The Worcester Festival Pear Tree Project is about spreading the message of community, charity and the environment, raising awareness of these important issues and how they may effect people.
The project is made up of 2 elements that we want as many people as possible to create, a leaf or a pear to decorate a giant tree in Worcester Cathedral for the duration of the Worcester Festival, 14th – 30th August.
To get involved:
1. Print off the leaf template (below) and fill the leaf with what community and charity mean to you. You can write a poem, draw a picture or even write a letter to someone to thank them for their help.
2. Create a pear out of recycled household materials. Anything goes, old milk bottles, tin foil, wool anything that you can find laying about the house that you don’t need anymore. (Please do not use perishable items). For some inspiration check out the pack below and keep your eyes on our social media pages.
When you have completed your leaf or pear, there are 2 things you could do:
Post your creations to:
Queen Elizabeth House
Bring your creation and a food donation to Worcester Cathedral between the 14th and 30th August and see all the other wonderful creations on the Worcester Festival Pear Tree.
For Cathedral opening times check the Cathedral website.
(Please do not bring your creations or food donations to the Cathedral before the 14th August as they will not be accepted)
This project is in association with the wonderful Worcester Foodbank.
In 2020 they fed over 9,800 people which was up over 20% on the year before. In the first 2 months of this year they have seen numbers continuing to rise. Both January and February saw over a 30% increase in the number of people fed, however the increase in children fed was over 50%.
They are very grateful for any help you can offer them, they welcome food, supermarket gift cards and cash donations to help them meet demand, and find it really helpful when clients donate goods from our most needed items list. Which can be found here: 2021 Shopping list
Bags for life, are also welcomed to help them pack up the parcels for their clients.
To find out more about the Foodbank, other ways you can support or how to get help, please visit their website.
When you drop off your leaf or pear to the Cathedral please consider bringing along a donation to help this wonderful charity.
To get involved download one of the templates below!
Template 1 contains the leaf template and pear inspiration.
Template 2 contains the same as template 1 but with added activities and puzzles
Template 3 contains a school pack with the same as template 1 plus lesson plans and activities
suitable for children Primary and Middle school aged
- Here2HelpWorcestershire – community action scheme, originally dedicated to helping those who needed support during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are now evolving the service so it offers advice, support and help to a wide range of services across Worcestershire.
- Maggs Day Centre – providing help for the homeless and venerable in Worcester
- Helping Hands – providing live-in care with a team of fully-qualified carers, possessing the skills and compassion required to enhance the quality of life for the most vulnerable of people.
- South Worcestershire Parenting & Community Development – offering support to families within South Worcestershire and working in partnership with families to offer support for parents & children in South Worcestershire
- YSS – helping families with a parent in prison or about to be sentenced
- Relate Worcestershire – Counselling for families, children, young people and relationships. Also providing back to work counselling for those struggling with the after effects of Covid-19.
- SSAFA – providing lifelong support to those who are serving or have served in the British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Marines or the Royal Air Force, and to their families.
- Worcester Wheels – A community transport service providing a vital service for people living in and around the City of Worcester and its nearby rural villages, who find it difficult or impossible to access other forms of transport.
- Worcestershire Breast Unit Heaven – supports the women and men of Worcestershire with their breast care needs.